I enjoy a good casserole dish. In addition to providing comfort, they also foster a sense of community. As a child, I can remember many occasions where there would be a casserole on a table, among many other dishes. Anniversaries, potlucks, neighborhood parties, church meetings.. you name it, and I’ll bet there was a casserole of some sort there. These chicken casserole recipes involve good memories and I hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
Crack Chicken Casserole
- 3 cups macaroni
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 pounds chicken breast (cubed)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 tbsp garlic (minced)
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup Bisquick
- 3 cups milk
- 1 package cream cheese
- 3 cups cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (grated for topping)
- 1 can of cream of chicken soup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook the macaroni for approximately ten minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the bacon, flipping occasionally until crispy. Remove bacon from skillet and set on paper towels to absorb the grease. Crumble once cool.
- Drain the grease from the skillet, leaving two tablespoons to cook the chicken and vegetables.
- Add two pounds of cubed chicken to the skillet and season with one-quarter teaspoon of salt, one-half teaspoon of pepper, and one-half tablespoon of paprika. Cook until golden and no longer pink in the center.
- Remove chicken from the skillet and place in a large bowl.
- Add one medium diced onion, one green diced bell pepper, and two tablespoons of minced garlic to the skillet and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
- Remove from the skillet and add to the bowl with chicken.
- In the same skillet, on low heat, melt three tablespoons of butter. Add one-quarter cup of Bisquick and stir until a paste forms.
- Gradually stir in three cups of milk until fully combined.
- Stir in one can of cream of chicken soup and one package of cream cheese. Stir until well incorporated.
- Add three cups of cheddar cheese and stir until fully melted. Remove from heat.
- To the bowl with meat and veggies, add the cooked pasta and cheese mixture. Stir well and transfer to a baking dish.
- Top with one cup of shredded cheese, and the cooked crumbled bacon.
- Bake for thirty minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
Chicken Tortilla Casserole
Homemade Bisquick Tortillas
- 4 cups Bisquick
- 2 tbsp lard
- 1½ cups water
Chicken Tortilla Filling
- 2 pounds lean ground chicken
- 2 cups onions (chopped)
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 small cans diced tomatoes
- 8 Bisquick Tortillas
- 2 cans black beans (drained)
- 2 packages cream cheese (softened)
- 2 cups cheese (grated, Mexican 4 blend)
Homemade Bisquick Tortillas
- In a large mixing bowl, combine four cups of Bisquick with two tablespoons of lard. Mix with your fingers or a fork.
- Add one and one-half cups of water and mix until the dough forms a ball.
- Place on a lightly Bisquick floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the balls into a thin, round circle.
- Place in the hot skillet, and cook until golden. Flip and continue cooking until golden on both sides. Place the cooked tortilla on a plate and set it in the oven on warm heat until ready to use. Continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough.
Chicken Tortilla Filling
- Brown two pounds of lean ground chicken with two cups of chopped onions in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir in four teaspoons of chili powder, one teaspoon of cumin, and two teaspoons of salt. Add two small cans of diced tomatoes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly grease the inside of a casserole dish.
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on a tortilla and place it in the prepared casserole with the cream cheese facing upwards.
- Add layers of black beans and the chicken mixture.
- Repeat with two more layers of cream cheese, Bisquick tortillas, black beans, and chicken mixture.
- Add final flour tortilla and a generous even spread of salsa. Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- Bake for twenty minutes or until heated through.
Chicken And Rice Casserole
- 3 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
- 3 cups cooked brown or white rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 3 tbsp Bisquick
- 1 can chicken broth (14 oz)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- chopped fresh parsley for serving
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Lightly grease or spray a casserole dish.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt one tablespoon of butter with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once the butter melts, add one small yellow onion, one teaspoon of salt, and one-half teaspoon of pepper. Cook for five minutes, or until the onion is translucent. Stir in two teaspoons of minced garlic and let cook for one minute.
- Sprinkle three tablespoons of Bisquick over the top. Stir constantly until the flour turns brown.
- Pour in one can of chicken broth and one cup of milk, stirring constantly to prevent any lumps.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat until the sauce has thickened, stirring often.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and stir one bag of mixed frozen vegetables, one cup of plain greek yogurt, half of the cheddar cheese, one-half cup of mozzarella, one teaspoon of dijon mustard, and one-half teaspoon of thyme until smooth.
- Stir in three cups of shredded chicken and three cups of cooked rice.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake the casserole for fifteen minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with parsley. Let rest for five minutes and serve.